Subject: Re: [Leica] SEKONIC
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 13:23:20 -0800

Leon Davenport wrote:

> I use the Sekonic 508 which I find invaluable.  It is a spot meter and an
> incident meter and a reflected light meter and a flash meter!  It is
> expensive but worth the cost.
>
> Leon.
>
> > From: V8PWR@aol.com
> > Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 03:39:29 -0500 (EST)
> > To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> > Subject: [Leica] SEKONIC
> >
> > Yesterday I was on the way to buy a SEKONIC 308 meter .
> > I was annoyed by the ergonomy of the thing :  when you hold it in your right
> > hand , the sensor is looking at the sky .
> > You have to twist your wrist in a strange manner to direct the sensor towards
> > your target .
> > I would prefer one with the sensor looking where my eyes normaly do when I
> > hold it just like a cup of fries .
> > Any suggestions welcomed .
> > Regards.
> > Jo GOODTIMES

For years I've been doing my flash metering with a Minolta Spotmeter F. Works
great but I'd found it a tad awkward, got tired of it- doing spot readings off a
grey card on a pole before the model got out...longed for the old daze when I
would just run up there and get the readings.

The meter on my M6's work perfectly and I am rarely in a situation where I am so
hard core that I have the camera set up on a tripod and am getting spot readings
with the Minolta and figuring things out Zone system wise.

Like most spot meters the Minolta is no good for low light night photography and
are heavier, less shockproof than a meter without the fancy optics.

So I have loved my lightweight simple and not expensive Gossen Luna-Pro digital
with it's 25 degree angle of sensitivity. I think meters I think Gossen.
But the damn thing has been reading a third to a half stop low
and I need a simple flash meter as well. So I went looking for meter's last
week. What did I find? I had a
Gossen Luna-Pro digital.	I found a
Gossen Luna-Pro digital F.  !!! It looks identical to the former but has that
letter "F." and a PC thing on the side for your sync cord. And cost me $220 USD.
And doesn't read a third to a half stop low. And still takes ONE AA battery. And
doesn't need a cord to take a flash reading.And has an improved belt case. And
fits in your top shirt pocket and you don't feel it in there. And I know how to
use it already but as a VERY easy learning curve. The white dome shifts in front
of the sensor for ambient flash or continuous light readings... shifts away for
reflective 25 degree angle flash or continuous light readings.
Other flashes I was looking at I assumed when you take the white dome off you
get a reflective reading meter. I thought wrong. I'm sticking with Gossen.
Mark Rabiner