Subject: Re: [Leica] Bela Bartok.
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 19:05:40 -0500

Bartok, abstract?  Heavens, much of his work is derived from folk music,
hardly abstract at all.  How about Schoenberg?  Harry Parch?  John
Cage?   Or, to get really crazy, Cecil Taylor or Pharoah Sanders?

And, just to interject enough pedantry to bring the note up to LUG
standards, I was once lectured that the name is actually "Bartok Bela,"
something to do with Hungarian naming conventions.  Anyone know anything
about this?

Chandos

(who's listening to television in the background)

At 02:13 PM 1/23/2000 -0800, you wrote:

>Dear Bob,
>
>I like the Roumanian Folk Dance, BB76 for orchestra. Actually that is
>what I am listening while I am typing this. A friend of mine who was
>a former lead clarinetist of the Oregon Youth Philharmonic Orchestra
>loaned me a tape. Bartok? Yes, count me in.
>
>Regards,
>
>PC
>

> > I just got out of the darkroom and I am sitting here listening to
> Bartok.  I
> > wonder how many LUGGERS could accept music from such an abstract composer?
> >

>--
>Pitak Chenkosol, Dept. Electrical Eng.,|  " I was born not knowing and have
>Portland State University,             |    only had a little time to change
>P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207-0751. |    that here and there."
>E-mail: pitakc@ee.pdx.edu              |                Richard P. Feynman

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown