Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux result???? -Lens cap instead of filter.
From: Pitak Chenkosol <pitakc@ee.pdx.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 16:47:17 -0800 (PST)

Dear Dan,

How about using the provided lens cap instead of the filter? Leave it
on until you want to take a picture and then put it back after you
get the shot. That is what I do on all my lenses. I also got a metal
screw-in lens cap for my 50/f2 Summicron-M because the provided lens
cap is easily fall off. The screw-in lens cap works great and it
costed me $7.95 from B&H.

Regards,

PC

> Jerry S. Justianto wrote:
> >I read all the Leica lenses that I have (35 summicron, 75 lux, 50 noct)
> >Only Noctilux that stated usage of filter is not recommended.  Other did not
> >mention anything about not using filter.
> >
> >JSJ
> >

> People are divided here. Some like to put a filter and others do not. I do
> purely for pragmatic reasons. The Noct has such a big piece of glass in
> front that I'd feel terrible if something happened to the front element;
> when that happens, it's too late to regret, kick myself or think about
> whether image degradation occurs with filters. By this time all the real
> and hypothetical advantages of not using a filter is no longer an issue.
>
> Good sleep is nice to have.
>
> Dan K.
>                    How we live reflects what we treasure.

Pitak Chenkosol, Dept. Electrical Eng.,|  " I was born not knowing and have
Portland State University,             |    only had a little time to change
P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207-0751. |    that here and there."
E-mail: pitakc@ee.pdx.edu              |                Richard P. Feynman