Subject: Re: [Leica] Fuji building an M
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 18:15:27 -0800

>Are Leica owners old sticks in the mud who will stubbornly resist change at
>every possible opportunity.  Possibly.  But a better way to prove us wrong
>is to BUILD the better M rather than whine about it on the LUG...
>
>M.

martin,

here i must disagree. if whining were not permitted on the lug, if we
couldn't gripe about the lack of ball-busting automation in the current m6,
if we couldn't bemoan, bewail, and otherwise bebitch about leica's
obstinate if not downright hostile unnikonness and anticanonitude, we would
be depriving ourselves of the pleasure of reading posts by certain forward
looking lugnütz, whose only wish is for leica to keep up with its more
modern - and therefore superior - competitors. the innovations they call
for are not unreasonable, if we consider what other megacamerafacturers
already offer. to bring the m up to date - and you know that's what we all
want and need - they would add:

- - 'normal' film loading with a camera back that opens right to left and not
up to down.
- - a vertical electronic shutter to permit faster sync speed for more modern
flash capabilities (ttl is so passé); since we all are fervent flash users,
this could only make us all happy.
- - semi automatic to automatic exposure - why think about it if you don't
have to?
- - autofocus for the same reason.
- - more plastic to bring the price down, because dammit, the world
DESPERATELY NEEDS an entry-level m camera, even though the bessa l, bessa
r, konica hexar, and billions of used m3's and 2's are currently available.

the fact that all of these features are already available on dozens of
cameras in as many price ranges - be they rf, slr, pns, or aps - is
immaterial. LEICA must offer such wonders if it is to compete in the modern
marketplace. after all, leica didn't become the camera company it is by
stubbornly offering well-made manual cameras with fantastic lenses, did it?

guy