Subject: Re: [Leica] A trip to Paris
From: George Berger <gberger@his.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 00:31:02 -0500

Hi, Bob -

You shouldn't have any trouble getting through both Immigration and
Customs entering France. At DeGaulle, the customs personnel are
overworked and underpaid, and you can get through without a hassle.

However; on departure, your film may go through their machines.  I
had mine in transparent cases and in  plastic bags - -  "salted" with
several rolls of Kodak 3200. I respectfully asked for a manual search
of my film.  No dice! The inspectors demanded that I put the packages
on the conveyor belt to run through the machine.  Yuck!   The
machines had notices posted that proclaimed that the x-rays wouldn't
fog the film.  None of my ASA 50, 100 and 200 chromes were apparently
affected, but, when I had my local lab develop the 3200 B&W, there
was  clear evidence of attenuation. I hadn't exposed any of the 3200
rolls - - I just had them in the bunch for salting and, later, for
QC. The film was fogged.

George
George Berger
gberger@his.com