Subject: Re: [Leica] A trip to Paris
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:00:46 +0100

>John Codispoti wrote
>
>>When I asked the maître if he had a room, he replied:
>>" Oui monsieur, pour la nuit ou pour l' aprèmidi ?"
>>We stayed elsewhere
>
>Why on earth did you do that? Don't you know that it's quite normal for
>hotels in France to rent rooms for the afternoon? (And I personally have
>profited from this most civilised arrangement.)The maitre was just being
>polite! Good Lord- this is Paris we're talking about!

When we had just moved to Brussels, my wife and I took a girl-friend of
hers for a sightseeing walk through the city, and we stopped at a very nice
art-deco cafe-bar-hotel for a drink. This place was real old world nice and
cultivated so we asked for a card with the name, address and phone number
just in case somebody would need a hotel in the future. We got the card all
right, but the waitress said: '"You know we are a hotel á l'heure, don't
you?" Well we did not, but we did not rush out when we realized it either.
When we wanted to pay and leave, we were told the drinks had been paid for
by the gentleman in the corner, and he would be very pleased to invite one
or both of the girls for another drink. I tell you the girls felt 20 years
younger. I am not, however, going to tell you how the story ended.

Enjoy your trip to Paris. With a high speed film you can shoot without a
tripod along some parts of the Seine which are nicely floodlit, or wait
until one of the sightseeing boats come along, they have powerful lights
that they turn on the illuminate some of the buildings.

BTW, film is expensive in France, roughly twice the price I pay in Germany.
The offside to bringing films over is the risk of getting them fogged by
Xray equipment at airports.