Subject: Re: [Leica] Ted Grant's Ravings
From: "John Shick" <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:00:23 +0000

> A company can go on so long in the red, no matter how fine the product is,
> when eventually someone pulls the plug.  Be a shame if that happens. But
> I'm always trying to think positive and that they'll see the light, fool
> everyone, and come out with an interesting economical new M lens camera.
>
> Only time will tell.
>
> ted
>
> Ted Grant
> This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler.
> http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

But the real question is "Can Leica make a new entry level M camera that is
competitive with, say Contax.  They will not only have to make a body that
sells for around a grand US, or so, they will also have to come up with a
more affordable line of lenses and accessories for said camera and make all
this compatible with the existing M cameras and lenses. Resurrecting the CL
and fitting it with an electronic range finder and a metal vertical shutter
( it had a cloth vertical shutter) for ae automation along with a line of
un-cammed lenses, the cam being unnecessary with an electronic range finder
will go a long way in reducing the price while maintaining the Leica
quality. They probably would only have to offer two or three lenses, say 28,
40, 90. Will it be competitive? Who knows, but I agree they must do
something.
John