Subject: [Leica] Transitions in photography
From: "Simon Coates" <michael@scoates.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:57:57 -0000

Hello Luggers!

I thought I would add my experiences to the many of the Leica users out
there who have changed camera systems, to Leica M or R.  I recently
purchased an R6.2 with 28/2.8, 50/2 and 100/2.8 APO lenses as a start - I do
nature/landscape photography and will be adding a couple of telephoto lenses
later.  I am based in North East England, UK.

My impressions are that the Leica system is vastly superior to my previous
outfit (Minolta 9000 AF based) in every respect.  It is just so nice to use!
Fantastic engineering.  I now enjoy photography in a way I never have done
previously.

My basic conclusions on the lenses are as follows:
Elmarit 28mm f/2.8 - no distortion, vignetting or flare (even with the sun
almost directly in front of the lens!!!).  Amazing sharpness, even fully
open in the corners, no point stopping down - sharper at f/2.8 than the
Minolta 28/2.8 at f/8 in the corners.
Summicron 50mm f/2 - very sharp at f/2, becomes truly razor sharp at
f/4.5-f/8.
Elmarit 100mm f/2.8 APO macro - one of the best lenses in the world;  close
ups are so sharp and realistic.

I don't miss auto-everything; the R6.2 is a lovely camera and having to do
everything myself is very satisfying.

Happy (Leica!) photography

Simon Coates

How does one improve on perfection?