Subject: Re: [Leica] automated m camera, again
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:00:18 -0800

Guy Bennett wrote:

> peter k and the two bobs (b and m):
>
> your semi-automated m-mount camera already exists: the konica hexar. it
> boasts many of the features you all have mentioned as desirable in your
> various posts. granted, it was not made by leica, but to a user, not a
> collector, this should not matter. it mounts leica lenses, as peter had
> required in his earlier posts, and is semi-automated, as both bobs have
> called for in theirs. it doesn't (yet?) have auto focus, but as bob b. has
> mentioned, he already has a g2 that does, and there's no reason to believe
> that konica won't consider an af hexar in the future (isn't the 'classic'
> hexar af?).
>
> so what's the point in yammering for an automated leica m? leica may one
> day produce it, or not. since it is already possible to use leica glass on
> an automated body (if that is the point), isn't this a moot question? or is
> it for some reason imperative that leica themselves produce an automated m
> camera?
><big Snip>
> guy
I agree with you on your every point in this post, Guy.
And for Leica to come out with a camera like that they might as well have Konica
or Cosina or Fuji do it.
Leica is a small company whose expertise is not along these high tech miniature lines.
The R8 does not have these considerations any more than the M line.
Luckily they continue with the same vein with the M line and that is the stuff
which I use.
And I'm happy with the M camera.
I don't pick it up and shoot with it and think "I wish this or that feature were
added to this camera"
The camera in my hands feels like a perfect realization of a long fluid design
and use process.
It just has the feeling of perfection in it and I wonder how people could own it
and use it to any extent and not feel that.
Mark Rabiner