Subject: [Leica] Silver gelatin and crayon resist
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:12:40 +0000

Would someone please explain to me what is meant by the galleries
that sell photographic prints usage of the terms platinum or gelatin
prints from Leicas & others. Does this mean toned prints for archival
reasons?  I wonder how many of the noted Leica users that became
famous & sell their original prints for big bucks, do their printing.

Mary G.<<<

Mary,
Galleries and museums typically use variants of formal names to describe
the technique used to make the print. "Platinum" is usually used to
denote any print made on platinum, platinum/palladium, or even pure
palladium emulsion. "Silver gelatin" is simply a fancy name for any
ordinary black-and-white paper.

It's worth noting that several of the terms they conventionally use,
while not strictly wrong, are not really used anywhere else. They appear
to be more descriptive than they actually are.

I was amused the other day when my little boy brought home his entry to
the elementary school art contest, and the art teacher had filled out a
very serious little "museum card" describing his technique as "crayon
resist" <g>. It's just part of that cultute, is all.

- --Mike