Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V15 #18
From: "Les Bonser" <lbonser@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 17:46:35 -0000

- ----- Original Message -----
> Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:42:14 EST
> From: TEAShea@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [Leica] What's wrong with me??? :-)
>
> Les, do it.  Get it.  You know you want us to talk you into it.  Well OK.
> Get either a G2 or an M6.   You will love either one.  They are quite
> different and both wonderful.

Actually, I already have a G2 and I love it. But...there's a sense of
history about the Leica that appeals to me.

Also, I'd like to try street photography. I've thought about wearing the G2
on a neck strap and having it resting on my chest and tripping the shutter
with the remote control in my hand. But, being an autofocus electric camera,
the G2 does make some whiring and clicking sounds when it focuses and
shoots. I'm afraid that in close quarters, people would be weary of the
sound.

I thought with the M6, I could also wear it on the neck strap, pre-focus
based on the light, and then hold simply hold my hand on the camera, like I
was just resting my hand there or bracing the camera from swinging to and
fro as I walk; when I see something, (near) silently trip the shutter.

I also like the idea of having a totally manual camera that I can fall back
on in (almost) any situation. I always keep an extra battery or two handy,
but you never know what might go wrong.

I have the Minilux and love the appearance of the pictures that come out of
that little box. The lens is amazing. I can't honestly say that I can
compare a G2 picture and a Minilux side-by-side and see any difference. But
I've gotten more "Wow, these are nice pictures" comments from the Minilux.

I didn't mention it in the original post; part of the reason I walked out
without buying the camera was because the camera in the display case was an
M6, but the sales lady couldn't find a price. She found a M6 TTL box, but
didn't know anything about Leica's. (Surprisingly, they are back in the
furtherest corner of the store--the only thing more "hidden" is the Olympus
stuff.) The guy that owns the store wasn't there and the very knowledgeable
woman that helped me pick out the G2 and the Minilux (bought both at the
same store) wasn't there either. I may call tomorrow and see if they can
quote me a price...

> Tom Shea
>
> << So I decided not buy the camera; at least
>  not today. Damn! And I was really looking forward to playing with a new
toy.
>  Oh, well, maybe someday.
>   >>

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 16:31:58 +0000
> From: "Joe B." <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] What's wrong with me??? :-)
>
> At 21:50 29/01/00 +0000, you wrote:
> >Looked at a M6 (non-TTL). This was the first time I've ever actually held
> >one. (I subscribe to this mail list because I own a Minilux.) It felt
funny;
> >I think I like the ergonomics of my Contax G2 better...what's wrong with
me?
> >:-)
> >
> >Actually, I have arthritis and to hold the camera where I could work the
> >manual focus hurt my wrist a bit. And the position of the strap lugs
seemed
> >to rest right on my sore joints. So I decided not buy the camera; at
least
> >not today. Damn! And I was really looking forward to playing with a new
toy.
> >Oh, well, maybe someday.
> >
> >Later,
> >
> >Les
>
> This sounds like a valuable experience. If a camera doesn't work well for
> you in practice for such reasons as stated above, this is very useful
> information. It isn't how good it is supposed to be or how it works for
> others that matters, what is relevant is how it is when you are trying to
> use it yourself. To answer your question- liking the ergonomics of the G2
> better doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you. It sounds like it
> might be a very good camera for you.
>
> Joe B.

Aw, but what's a little pain when you're using such a wonderful camera...
:-)

I may still get it--might be a nice companion for the G2. One advantage the
M6 has is the wider selection of lenses. I really wish Contax would come out
with a 50mm f1.4 or f1.2 in the same league as their 35mm and 45mm f2
lenses.

Les