Subject: Re: [Leica] asked for ID?
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 06:18:22 +0000

 BOB KRAMER:
>>> The next thing I know, a police officer is standing over me asking
>>> for my I.D. and wanting to now what I am doing sitting around this
>>> restaurant at 6:00 in the morning taking pictures!
>>
>>Now, WAIT a minute!  What possible justification could he have for
>>asking any of that?

>That's irrelevant, Jeff, to the powers-that-be.  The US Supreme Court has
>long accorded to the police the right to ask any citizen, at any time,
>their name and reason for being at the place, and for ID.  It may well be a
>sad commentary on the state of the US that the police ARE given this
>authority, but they do have it.
>
>Marc

I have found that when police officers have the power to do this and do it
well, the society is generally safer to live in. It is a small price to
sacrifice some degree of personal freedom for overall peace of mind.
Visitors from abroad tell me that I am fortunate to live in one of the
safest places on planet earth.

Dan K.
  "When son gets married, his parents become transparent."
                                  - Chinese saying, A.D. 2000