Subject: Re: [Leica] asked for ID?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:51:53 -0800

Greg Locke wrote:
>I have learned long ago that there is no point in arguing law with a police
>officer. It's not in his job discription. ...Especially when he has the
>power of the state and the gun in his hands.
>
>As much as it may gall you, be pleasent, show him some ID and tell him what
>you are doing.  As long as there has been no complait against you or you
>are not suspected of breaking any law... that will be the end of it.
>
>It works for me be it small town constable, urban combat troops or border
>police with a gun stuck in my ear. You are not doing yourself any favours
>by pissing off a cop.  You will never win.>>>>>>

Hi Greg,
Right on the mark! Absolutely a "NO WIN SITUATION." Bite yer tongue folks
and get the ID out right quickly, "Yes sir, right here sir, not doing a
thing sir, taking happy snaps for the kids back home. Yes sir any time you
like sir and how high would you like me to jump sir!"

And folks don't ever think you're going to be the hero and refuse.....Or
you'll really find out how fast they can have you in the back seat of a
cruiser. Then you don't get any pictures and blow a whole bunch of time
thinking of how pissed off you are. Or, "How stupid you were!" And that's
worse.

Oh yeah one more thing. Please don't give the officer, "I got my rights of
freedom etc" and the usual whining by folks who think they know they
have....but in the real world?   Forget it!

Much easier for your peace of mind & safety, "STAY COOL AND COMPLY." And it
can't get any simpler than that.

Oh yes and please lets not open this up to two weeks of rights and freedom
arguements... It maybe on paper, but for you to prove it will take more
money and court time than it's worth. Save the time and money for film an
future picture taking.

Been there and up against the wall a few times. And as innocent as all get out.

" Hey you can't do that I'm not doing anything!" Bam up against the wall
and "Whats in that bag?" And really don't be a smart ass and say, "It's my
lunch!"

They have the sense of humour of a rattle snake in heat.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant