Subject: [Leica] The law and the law
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:21:06 +0000

I have learned long ago that there is no point in arguing law with a
police officer. It's not in his job discription. ...Especially when he
has the power of the state and the gun in his hands.

As much as it may gall you, be pleasent, show him some ID and tell him
what you are doing.  As long as there has been no complait against you
or you are not suspected of breaking any law... that will be the end of
it.<<<

Greg,
Sorry to keep agreeing completely with every single thing you say,
but...I agree completely.

I once saw a TV show about how to avoid tickets. It said, show your
hands prominently so you're not a threat, speak up, never make eye
contact, and agree with everything the officer tells you.

The very next day I was speeding to Dulles when I saw a cop in the
rearview. I slowed down, but too late--he pulled me over. By the time he
sidled up to the window, I was holding my license and my registration
with both hands stuck awkwardly out the window. All the way out.

He says, "So, you were doing eighty-five for five miles and then you
looked up and saw me in your rear-view mirror two miles ago and you
slowed right down to sixty, didn't you?"

I said, loudly, not looking at him, "Yes sir! That's exactly what I did
Sir!"

He actually WAITED for the excuse he thought was coming next ("But
I...."). I didn't say anything else. Then he kind of harrumphed and went
back to his patrol car.

He let me off. Only time I ever got caught red-handed and lived to tell
the tale.

But you know what? Not one time since then have I been able to resist
adding the excuse. Even though I know better. Even when the excuse is so
damn lame I can't believe it comes out of my mouth. Even when you know
you shouldn't, the temptation is so strong it's almost impossible not to
do it. ("Uh...I...uh...couldn't see the red light past that big, uh,
truck, officer." I might as well be saying, "I'm a big damned thick
dope, officer, please slap me with a nasty ticket right this second!")

- --Mike