Subject: Re: [Leica] Police harassment / Gelatin Silver
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 07:32:10 -0700

To the best of my knowledge, I used to room with a police chappy, you do not
have to supply ID but you do have to identify yourself when asked. If the
officer wishes, they can take you into custody until such a time as they can
verify your statements. You can also be taken into custody for not having
sufficient means to support yourself (ie. money, proof of residence or proof
of employment). Naturally with the miles of book keeping, reports, etc, they
would rather just leave you alone and go and get some doughnuts. If you are
driving a motor vehicle, you are required by law to furnish proof of
registration, insurance and driver's licence. Even if you have the stuff but
forgot your wallet, you can be charged with failure to produce the proper
papers (though once again the doughnut clause usually overrides this). I
once worked on a young lady's car and on the dash board, in prominent
letters, was inscribed: "Bad Cop No Donut".

John Collier