Subject: Re: [Leica] asked for ID?
From: "Claes Bjerner" <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 20:35:38 +0100

>I agree with this. My opinion is this: apart from unlawful requests and
>obvious abuse of power, those who have nothing to hide do not object against
>a police request to show ID.

Here in Europe our laws are often very different from those in the US. For
instance in Sweden a policeman is not allowed to ask for your ID without
first explaining what specific crime or violation you are a suspect of. Of
course, if I cross a police barrier I will automatically show my press card
without being asked first.

Bob McEowen replied:

> Americans object to authority just on general principle . . .

Thatīs a very good principle, Bob! And letīs never forget who the policemen
are supposed to be the servants and protectors of! At least in a democracy.

Claes