Subject: RE: [Leica] When is a release requirted?
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 21:07:03 -0800

That sounds like the Arrington case, from the early 1980's in New York. I'll
have to look up the cite, but he won, big time, I think on some sort of
"false light" theory. The nasty wrinkle was that the courts (all the way up
to the NY Court of Appeals) let The New York Times off the hook (because it
was an editorial use of the photograph), but didn't extend the same
protection to the photographer and his agency (Contact Press, as I recall)
because they had been paid for the photograph, and thus were doing it for
"commercial gain," which was an exception to the state statute that
protected the Times' publication of the photograph. The case caused quite a
ruckus among the agencies and freelance photographers at the time, and
resulted in the NY statute being amended to correct the court's
interpretation. I believe the Arrington case itself was later settled.