Subject: RE: [Leica] Delta 3200
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:00:50 -0800

BOB KRAMER wrote:

<<<<<<Not to mention that I have yet to see a sharp image... er... excuse
me... yet to see a sharp *photo* :-) taken with this lens.  The plane of
focus appears to be non existent!>>>>>

Hi Bob,

Well it isn't that, we who use them regularly in our work in colour as well
as  Black & white don't get sharp pictures, we do. And regularly.

Actually I'd have been dead in the water for magical low light moody colour
material without it. One thing it does very very well that allows you to
blow away art directors while using available existing light shooting
Kodachrome 64! They think your crazy and question your common sense, not to
mention your mental state.  UNTIL! They look at what they thought you
weren't shooting in a serious  manner.

The Noctilux for cost and I agree isn't for the Sunday shooter, it's alot
of bread to shell out for a  lens you may not use wide open or you don't
like the look of the subject separation from the background.

However it isn't a lens for everyone until they use it for sometime to
become accustomed to it's handling and for shooting mainly wide opn or near
that for a high percentage of their picture taking.

If one isn't prepared to work in twilight zone lighting for magical moment
photographs then they'd be foolish to buy one.

But I can assure you that we who work with them on a regular basis wouldn't
part with it for hell or high water.

<<<<<Using this lens wide open, the question isn't "Do I want the eyelashes
to be in focus?", it is "*Which* eyelash do I want to be in focus?".>>>>>>>

Naw that's what sorts out the same old pictures to where people who pay you
say, "Jeeeeesh how did you do that and it looks incredible!:)

<<<<Combine this problem with the high lens cost, the inevitable even if
minor optical compromises that result with this fast a lens, and the lens
size and weight, and I just don't feel a burning desire to own it.>>>>>

Naw the depth of focus/field isn't a problem, it's an asset if you make it
work for you. :)

To each his own, but the different picture possiblities with it and cost
are not a problem, as it's only a tool allowing the photographer to shoot
where others fear to tread without using a twinkie flash!  (sorry guys I
had to get my anti-flash fix) :)

The Noctilux opens a whole new world of picture taking and shouldn't be
cast aside because one doesn't know how to use it nor the funds to purchase
as it's only limited by your imagination to see.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant