Subject: Re: [Leica] Police harassment
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 21:12:55 +0000

Doug Herr wrote:
> Of course,
> at the time I was a rather suspicious character, having not shaved or had a
> decent haircut in some time, and driving a VW with California licence
> plates!

I have to confess to identical crimes, and not so many years back that
the statute of limitations would apply.    It is not so funny though,
having gone to university during Vietnam and having shot lots of
protests and police and had cameras smashed (by police), that I cannot,
to this day, see a police car and not get frightened.  I remember
speaking to a Brazilian policeman once discussing this and he just
couldn't understand why seeing police didn't make me feel safe.  My wife
bought me a motorcycle helmet that I used to wear with PRESS painted on
it and so on.  It had dents from San Francisco, San Jose and Berkeley
batons.

Yet somehow, life seemed more real back then.  And they never smashed a
Leica, only Nikons.  Must be something of wisdom in that...

donal

Donal Philby
San Diego
www.donalphilby.com