Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodachrome Blues
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 12:31:52 -0800

John Collier
 wrote:

>I have been noticing in the last couple of years that the local stores are
>stocking less and less Kodachrome. I, unfortunately, really like the stuff
>and use it as my main film. Processing turn around times went from one week
>to two weeks three years or so back but now they have jumped to FIVE weeks!
>The store I deal with said the two week time was due to it having to be sent
>to the eastern USA. Canada lost both its plants a while ago. Now that it is
>five weeks they speculated that it had to go to Europe! Is this the end of
>Kodachrome.>>>>>>>

Hi John,

As much as I love Kodachroem and used hundreds and hundreds of rolls over
the years I don't miss it one iota.  When Kodak pulled the Vancouver plant
and film was shipped to Toronto, extending processing time I could still
cope with the extra days. But when the Toronto plant closed with film going
to the US for processing that was end of Kodachrome for me. Period.
Processing time was way too long for a professional trying to service a
client.

The number  of incredibly good E6 films on the market these days comes down
to....Who needs Kodachrome? Certainly when one can have film processed in a
few hours and meeting client deadlines.

I believe Kodak decided the environmental aspects of dumping KR chemicals
were becoming a major problem, so they've just let KR slide into almost an
oblivion state. Besides, E6 slides look gorgeous and in some cases surpass
Kodachrome for look.

Compared to shooting 50 to a hundred KR 36 exp. rolls every ten days or so
for quite a number of years, today it's that number and more E6. I've never
had a client say, "Gee would you shoot it on Kodachrome." Most of them
don't know kodachrome from water buffalo film, all they want are great
looking colour slides. And E6 does that without any problem.

Very shortly it wouldn't surprise me to see KR go the way of the dodo bird.

Yep be a loss, however the quality of E6 slide films today far surpasses
those of the bygone era and if KR were to deep six to oblivion it wont be a
world shattering event. We who knew it and loved it will always have fond
memories and great images from it.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant