Subject: Vs: [Leica] Arrrrrrghhhhhhhh........loading M6
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 10:46:11 +0100

No tricks, just pull the leader out only so far that is seats inside the "arms" of  the "trident". IMHO this is the main thing to observe: if the leader is outside, obviously it will not catch. If the baseplate is off, the leader will not seat properly, so close baseplate, wind on, observe that rewind crank turns. Actually you can feel it if you have misloaded.
If the rewind crank does not turn, open baseplate  and have a look. Usually you find that film is outside the trident so start again and make sure that the leader is not too long.
There´s one more way to misload the M6 and it occurs when the upper edge of the film is caught beneath the upper edge of the film gate. This you´ll find out immediately because it jams the camera completely. So open baseplate, take film out start again... The prevention of this is: do not open back door when loading. This also prevents ruined frames from closing the baseplate so that the back door is left open.
If you have a table or other even surface in front of you, you can also try to load as per the instruction manual.
And now the best part: actually a Leica M6 is not that difficult to load, I have misloaded other types of cameras as well.
All the best!
Raimo
photos at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen