Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodachrome Blues
From: "John McLeod" <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 08:08:49 -0800

It was Kodachrome, in large part, that caused me to sell a Nikon F5 and go
back to an all Leica system.  Both the Nikon and Leica lenses produced
sharp, punchy, saturated slides with a variety of E6 films that I tried,
including Velvia and E100s.  But Kodachrome, in my mind, produces a
naturalness of color and tonal gradations that allowed the Leica lenses to
stand out.  With the Leica lenses, colors and textures were reproduced with
the subtle gradation that seemed much more like real life to me.

As an example, I took several side by side Leica and Nikon shots of my
yellow lab under overcast conditions, just after a rain.  The film was
Kodachrome 64.  With the Leica Kodachromes, the colors and textures of his
coat and eyes were as I know them to be, light yellow and brown.  With the
Nikon Kodachromes, his coat had a whitish-yellow cast and his eyes were
black-brown.  Saturated colors but harsher in tonal gradation and contrast.

Could have been the lenses used or other factors, but I found this time and
time again, especially with Kodachrome film.  And, as Mark says, how can you
beat those cardboard and dated mounts (dated as in with the date, not as in
outdated!)?

John McLeod