Subject: [Leica] Re: Kodachrome Blues
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 12:21:32 -0800

I have Kodachromes from the late 40's that are still good. Funny thing... I
used to use Ektachrome in my Rolleicord during the early 50's (E2) and
processed it myself. I was 14 or so at the time when I started using E2.
I'm 62 now. I still have many of the 6x6 Ektachromes from then and many are
still very good. Some have faded into a monotone, but a surprising number
are OK. I guess I fixed, washed, and stabilized some better than others.

The E6 I use today I'm not worried about lasting forever. I believe they
will last at least as long as my old (good) E2 Ektachromes.

I have thousands of cardboard Kodak mounted slides. And thousand of plastic
Calypso mounted slides. They both have numbers and dates. But the cardboard
mounts are, in many cases, warped. But not the plastic mounts. They are
straight as an arrow, flat as a pancake.

Jim

I vote for plastic.