Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Ted Grant: Kodachrome Blues
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 05:24:38 -0500

Jim Brick wrote:

WOW Ted... talk about hanging it all out for the world to see. But what you
said was, of course, exactly correct. We all have "brain farts" now and
again. I was thinking like you the first time around.

Basically, so what if my photographs don't last 100 years. But sometimes,
the greatest time, is sitting down with a big box of old pictures and
digging through them. I have a couple of boxes like that in my darkroom.
All of my photographs from Junior High, High School, College, etc.

The other day I was helping Jillian (my daughter) with something in the
darkroom and I started looking through the boxes. Every photograph I picked
up I said "see this... this is when I was... and we were doing..." Talk
about memories from heaven. These photographs ARE my life. And I have
similar boxes of pictures, negatives, and slides of when my kids were
growing up.

Photographs are priceless.
<<<

For another example of the value of photographs that outlast the
photographer, the Philiadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences operates an
"image bank" (VIREO = VIsual REsources in Ornithology) consisting of
photographs of birds of the world.  Their North American coverage is nearly
complete, for the rest of the world they're well on the way to decent
coverage.  It's a "snapshot" of wildlife during our time, which may be used
by researchers and educators at minimal cost, and is also available to
commercial publishers.

Commercial use of photographs in the VIREO collection include numerous
field guides, magazines, books, CDs, and other publications, as well as
being available for making display prints.  It's a significant source of
revenue for the Museum.

VIREO depends entirely on donations from photographers (or photographers'
estates) for their collection, and they treasure each photograph.  Working
with Eastman Kodak and duPont they have implemented state-of-the-art
archival storage facilities.  Do they care if photographs fade?  You bet
they do!

Doug Herr
Sacramento