Subject: Re: [Leica] Cohn comments and Kodachome Blues
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:41:07 -0800

Sal,

If you had a part in Kodak's intro of the K-Lab, thanks. As you say, a
number of labs (The New Lab in San Francisco comes to mind) who were
committed to Kodachrome sunk a lot of money into their K-14 lines in the
1980's and got burned as a result. Aside from the initial startup costs, you
have to keep an analytical chemist on the payroll just to monitor the K-14
chemistry, and the K-Lab processor reduces a lot of those costs. And I have
not noticed any degradation in the quality of processing. I just hope its
introduction wasn't too little, too late. A good color lab could run a K-Lab
processor, but they would only make the investment if there was sufficient
film coming in the door.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.