Subject: Re: [Leica] Slide Preservation
From: MicroGrid@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 14:44:32 EST

I've been storing my fledgling collection of scanned images on CD-RW. This
discussion is causing me to think some more about that, and reminded me of my
high school years. I used to work the photofinish cameras at the Soap Box
Derby in Akron, OH. We had a darkroom over the track, and we shot everything
with 3 mounted 4X5 cameras with Polaroid 55PN. We peeled it, sent the instant
print down and began work on an enlargement with the negative. One year we
decided to "remodel" our darkroom. and began ripping out the thin veneer of
wood. Behind it we discovered stacks of 4X5 glass plates of Soap Box Derbys
of days long gone by. I have no recollection of what process we determined
was used. I heard after I was no longer involved that the Derby made some
money selling the prints.

Today it would be natural to shoot on digital. Who will keep the images not
stored in museums up to date? It does cause one to wonder what will happen to
our history.

On the other hand even E4 Ektachromes hold up better than C-22 color negs and
prints. How much of our history is lost because of this.

Bruce Bowman
Killingworth CT