Subject: Re: [Leica] Vienna, Austria info requested [on topic]
From: thomas boehm <toboehm@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 12:18:48 -0800 (PST)

hello mitch,

welcome to you and your wife in austria - i live in the "other end" of
austria in the west in tyrol, but i will try to give you some advices for
your trip to vienna.

> - Does Austria have any rules about tripod usage?

not known - dont worry.

> ... would it be
> smarter to purchase the film in Vienna?  What about processing?

i think, that film is cheaper in the US - and you get the stuff you know
best (also for processing); i would not worry about the x-ray machines at
vienna airport (i take my films always in the handluggage)

>Is there anything I should be aware of regarding theft prevention,
> or trying to fit in with the locals?

you can behave like in any other place (city) in the western world -
vienna is a safe city with low criminality. dont resist to come in contact
with the local people. especially in vienna they are very nice people
(maybe not all , especially about taxi-drivers it is said, that they can
be a bit  "grantig" (cheeky ??)

> I'll be dependant on public transportation...

the underground (u-bahn) in vienna is good and well organised. but maybe
you would also like very much to use the tramway / trambahn (road-train?):
you see a lot, get in contact with people - i recommand this...
there are cheap tickets/passes for one ore more days witch include all the
public transportations like u-bahn, tramway, busses... also to drive with
a taxi can be an experience.... ;-)

- -------------
> the must see sites include and what would be the best way to get to
> them?
nice places in vienna for photography as long as i know them:

- -- the "naschmarkt" (market place for vegetables, fruits, fish, meat,
international food, etc.; impressive flea-market on saturdays; )

- -- the "prater" (amusement park, meeting-place; there is also the famous
"riesenrad")

- -- old vienna coffee-houses like "cafe hawelka" and others (places full of
atmosphere to move a bit in the world of "yesterday" - comfortable, cosy &
old fashioned meeting places for all who want to take a rest from the
crowded city and the stress; lots of viennoise coffee-specialties to try,
old fashioned, kind waiters...)

- -- the "wienerwald" (forests and hills in the nature in the west of the
capital)

- -- the "heurigen" (rural restaurants / places to taste wine with basic
original austrian food all arround vienna)

- -- the museums (MAK, museum stiftung ludwig, etc)

- ----- there is too much to list....

here are some internet-homepages which are maybe helpfull (sorry: most in
german language):

http://www.nhm-wien.ac.at/bundesmuseen/ (the museums)
http://linz.orf.at/gast/gortana/links.htm#Österreich (austria links for
several topics)
http://www.aeiou.at/aeiou.encyclop (austria-lexikon)
http://www.oesterreich.com/ (tourist infos about austria, click on "wien"
- - also with maps of the city to zoom in: links "landkarte" and "das
grafische informationssystem der stadt wien" - this is a good search
engine to find adresses and the public transport to get there!!!)
http://aardvark.magnet.at/metro/ (the vienna metro or "u-bahn")
http://www.tiscover.com/1Root/reports/23/f_wetteruebersicht0.1.html
(weatherforecast)

have lots of fun!