Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder patch flare
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 17:49:07 -0600

At the risk of posting something on topic these days, and with apologies
if I've ignored an answer that has been provided previously, but is
there an easy self-help solution for the rangefinder patch going white
on the M6 when the light strikes it from a certain angle?  I've read
comments about this phenomenon since I subscribed to the list, but
haven't been bothered by it until recently (my daughter has begun riding
in horse shows in indoor arenas, where the sodium vapor or some other
type of intense ceiling lighting frequently blanks out the rangefinder.)

I gather the problem stems from the ribs in the translucent panel, and I
know that if I cover the panel completely I lose the frame lines.  Is
there some other well known temporary cure that keeps the frame lines
but tones down the flare in the rangefinder?

Sorry for the interruption.

Cheers,
Kip