Subject: Re: [Leica] M flash
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 01:27:23 -0800

Robert Appleby and Susan Darlow wrote:

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
> >>Nothing remotely awkward about sliding a little flash in the Hotshoe setting
> your F stop at F11 your shutter speed at 1/50 or lower and shooting.
> Sure you can get fancy with some bracket or bounce but you have to be in the
> mood for that. Holding a flash in one hand and a camera in one hand can be
> awkward but the flash can just sit there on the hot shoe and it's a no
> brainer.
> Some people think squeezing off half second exposures wide open with no
> depth of
> field and no light awkward. Depends on what your mood is or who's paying.*
> >>

> Cool comment Mark, I never knew you could mount a flash in the hotshoe :).
> Should work OK just so long as you don't have a 24 mm finder in the hotshoe
> already... And taking off the bracket which this makes necessary to reload
> is simple enough!
> Ciao,
> Rob No Brain
> (PS - Mark... ours could be a marriage made in heaven - whaddayasay?)

I've gone out several times this week with my 24 on my M6 and no finder. Last
week I was using the finder this week I left it off.
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I don't need no stinkin finder.
It's OK sometimes.
And I've never used one of my millions of brackets on an M6 that I can recall
either. Might have.
I have used the Vivitar 283 with the sensor on the cord on the Hotshoe. And I
have a TTL camera too! The sensor works great and the pictures don't look like
flash pictures as I can aim the flash which I hold in my left hand anywhere in
the room and the light bounces around and eventually hits what's in front of the
camera which is what the sensor is pointing. With a winder on the camera I can
blast away once I set my focus. And I can zone focus at the flash is automatic.
Mad your M6 is not automatic? Well with a flash it is automatic!
People who have decided that a strobe is a sacrilege on a Leica M6 are just
creating there own little ruts for themselves.
I prefer to keep as many possibilities open as possible.
I think most National Geographic photographers would never dream of saying
good-by to their strobes. I know some of them use M's.
Depends on the style of image you like.
Eugene Smith had twinkie lights coming out the yin yang.
To each his own!
Mark Rabiner
the marriage thing is big of you to say but it would be big a me!