Subject: Re: [Leica] to shoot or to collect
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:34:26 -0700

yeunel-1 wrote:

[snip]
> I have been tempted very much of getting a M camera. As the
> current market prices tell me, M2s, M4s and M6s are pretty much out of my
> financial range.
[snip]
>So I guess I am left with M3s and M4-2s.
[snip]
> would it be worth it to spend some US
> 200 for this <eBay M3> instead of some that has decent cosmetics for some US 600?
[snip]
> Then there is the thing with M4-2s.

Elliot,

Consider yourself very fortunate to own a working IIIf outfit! Leica
rangefinder cameras are very expensive, and that includes the M4-2. If
you are patient, you may be able to get a fairly nice M (maybe a
double-stroke M3 without the preview lever) for under $600, but
$800-1200 is more typical especially when you add the cost of
overhauling an older camera.

I think we Leica users as a group enjoy our cameras as works of
functional art; where we differ is choosing our proportions of Art and
Function! There's a lot of Art in the Leica IIIf; newer Leicas have more
Function but generally speaking, less Art: The IIIf has gorgeous milled
knobs and engravings; the M6 has handy film loading and TTL metering.

What you'll be discovering over time is what proportion works best for
you. Personally, I prefer the M6 to the M4 because of the M6's TTL
metering, and I would not pay an $800 premium for the M4 versus an M4-2,
because to me, the -2 is still pretty nice, and it has a hot shoe to
boot. But I admit I find the new engraved black enamel M6es very
interesting: All (or most of) the modern-camera Function, with an extra
dose of Art, for a few hundred extra--talk about having your cake and
eating it too! Hey, whatever gets you out there taking more pictures and
making fewer excuses.

- ---
Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado