Subject: [Leica] how to scratch a front element....
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:00:46 -0500

Put one lens in a compartment of your bag with the rear cap off, mount
facing up..... now take your Noctilux or Summilux lens with no filter or cap
on the front.... place it in the same compartment with the front element
sitting on top of the other lens mount... now drive for a hour on a bumpy
road or run 50 yds to get a picture....

I dare you!!!

This was more or less what I did to my 20-35 Canon Zoom.... Not on purpose I
might add and the pictures were not worth the damage...

I now use UV filters except for flare prone situations and images that will
be blown up.....  I do use filters less on my Leicas since you can't see the
flare to begin with.... It's easier to spot with an SLR...

I still use the 20-35.... as the resale value is now too low to sell........

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador

http://duane_birkey.tripod.com