Subject: Re: [Leica] Lenshood v. filters
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:32:58 -0800

I'm a huge Lenshood guy but the combination of no lenshood and flat dumb UV
glass which is common makes me strain to restrain myself.

AA talks about how a scratch on a lens does amazingly zilch to it's performance.
Zilch might not have been his term.

None of my billions and billions of lenses have ever gotten scratched on the
front element and I am a bit of a klutz.

A scratched front element represents the best deal you can possibly imagine for
quality user image grabbing. The best optics money can buy can be got for a song
if there is a scratch on the lens. No one wants it, except those in the select know!
Because of the price of scratched glass has gone right through the ceiling!!!
and now they can't be had for anything, much more expensive than unscratched
glass. A diamond scratching device and a Luftwaffe engraving template and you're
ready to watch you profits grow!
Mark Rabiner