Subject: Re: [Leica] help with M 135mm lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:21:06 -0500

At 01:50 PM 2/11/2000 -0500, Edward Berger wrote:
>Does anyone have any comments on some of the older M 135mm lenses
>(Elmar/Tele-Elmar/Elmarit)?
>How are they wide open or close to it?  Or am I better off saving for an
>APO Telyt?
> Also, is it realistic to use a 135mm on a regular M6 or is a HM a
>necessity?

Good heavens.  A 135mm lens is perfectly useable on a regular M6 to the
most of us, though a few find it a bit hard.  I regularly use one on both
M3 and M6 and haven't a bit of a problem.

All of the M 135's are wonderful lenses save for the 2.8/135 Elmarit,
which, in both its versions, is a trifle soft wide-open, though several of
my published jazz photos were shot with this lens at f/2.8.  The 4/135
Elmar is a sterling performer, the Tele-Elmar is delightful, and the
current 3.4/135 is a stunningly wonderful lens.  For that matter, a Russian
4/135 Jupiter-11 (a clone of the Zeiss 4/13.5cm Sonnar) is a fine lens, and
costs around $100, so it might be the best starting place until you've
decided whether your style calls for this focal length.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!