Subject: Re: [Leica] Lenshood v. filters
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 09:03:31 +1100

Buzz Hausner wrote:

> Mike, I agree with you that a shade is protection enough.  However, I
> believe that as a form of lens protection there is no replacement for the
> old clip-on metal shades.  The clip on shades were (are) rigid enough to
> protect the front lens element and will absorb the shock of a sharp blow by
> breaking away, leaving the lens unscathed.  As to the current built-in
> telescoping shades, I own no recent generation lenses with this feature so I
> can't comment on their lens protective factor.
>
>         Buzz Hausner

Buzz, I have 2 lenses with the inbuilt shades. a 200mm f4 Telyt and the
Noctilux.

The shade on the Telyt is not to bad. it at lest keeps the length of the lens to
manageable
dimensions. But protection wise, it would not be very much use. For knocks that
is.
against rain it is very good. The inbuilt shade on the Noctilux is , in my
opinion completely useless. It is to short, it would probably get dented if it
was extended and the lens would fall on it and therefore it could not be pushed
back easy.

I use a external  screw in lens hood. It cuts a bit more off the viewfinder ,
but that does not worry me.
Regards, Horst Schmidt