Subject: [Leica] dog ear lug replacements
From: Evil DelGado <BernardDelgado@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:24:56 -0800 (PST)

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:59:25 EST
                                                       From:
TTAbrahams@aol.com
                                                       Subject: Re: [Leica]
Leica M3 strap eye lugs

                                                       Howard, It very much
depends on which version of M3 you have. The older D. S
                                                       had triangular lugs
that are not possible to replace anymore (unless someone
                                                       out there has a stash
of mid-fifties Leica parts available). The current
                                                       round lugs can be
replaced although the replacement lugs are stainless,
                                                       rather than plated
brass. It is a rather involved process, the original lugs
                                                       have a 3mm 'rivet"
base and to replace them you have to get "replacement"
                                                       lugs which have a 4mm
rivet on them. The old lugs are removed, the hole
                                                       reamed out and the
new lugs put in and 'crimped" in place with a special
                                                       tool. This requires
the repairperson to remove the outside housing shell of
                                                       the camera. It is not
a Do-it-yourself job, at least if you want the lugs to
                                                       stay put! Any
competent Leica service person can do it though.
                                                       Tom A
Hi,
Actually, I have an old DS M3 and one of the old dog ear lugs was terribly
bent.
SherryKrauter told me she just acquired the Jig to properly replace the old
lugs.
I believe she said $75, but I'm not sure. I havent had it done yet. My old
M3's work fine, I had to have my young M6 worked on instead.
- -BernardDelgado in NYC

Visit http://freeworld.excite.com