Subject: Re: [Leica] Kindermann to lose Leica
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:30:31 -0800

Bob Bedwell wrote

<<<<<<Would you kindly explain what affect this will have on Leica users in
Canada and the U.S.?>>>>>>

Hi Bob,
I would think from a service point or quick response with loaner equipment
it will make a major difference, unless Lisle-Kelco realise the type of
service Canadian and to some degree, US Leica photographers have become
accustomed to from Kinndermann.

Am I concerned? A big yes! But for the moment I'm reserving my concerns
until the official switch over.

Am I feeling terribly bad over the change?  Yes very much so, not for
Leica, but for my very dear friend Werner Schmalz, whom I've known since he
immigrated to Canada from Wetzlar about 30 years ago. A demon for work and
quick response to keeping customers happy, his motto, "A happy Leica user,
is a happy future customer."

John Collier wrote:
<<<<<<Once they did not have the parts for my M2 in stock so they sent it
back freight free, even though I offered to pay, and phoned ME to tell me
the parts were in! I had dealt through the local dealer so they would have
had to phone the dealer to get my number. That is service.>>>>>>

Hi John,

Well that's what I meant about Werner's motto, service is the name of the
game and future sales . I think the new folks maybe surprised at the
hostility of Leica respondents, certainly if they don't have an immediate
reaction for service requirements illustrating they know how to give
service at a level many have come to expect and respect from Kinndermann.

But time will tell, as the new people have a one year contract with Leica
home office, so they have a year to prove themselves. The service concerns
of Leica owners in Canada maybe addressed just fine. However, L-K have to
show they are going to react to Leica owner requests in the manner we have
come to expect from Werner and his crew. And our respect of Kinndermann for
their instant positive reaction to service and equipment replacement, will
have to be earned by K-L in their actions. And again, time will tell.

For the moment I think we should stay loose until we  see how the winds
blow. There are a considerable number of Leica users in this country and if
there should be a major problem develop, not saying there will be, I'm sure
Leica would respond in a positive fashion. Whatever that maybe.

It's wait and see time.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant