Subject: Re: [Leica] "Add-a-Cam"? How much?/ and beginner 'R' body recomendation?
From: Jeffcoat Photography <jeffcoatphoto@sumter.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 09:57:35 -0500

Bob/ R7 and R4s are   two of the older units that I use. The R4 is very basic and
"IF" you need eye correction you will pay $80 for a corrective viewfinder lens. We
put the Polaroid back on this unit and that's all I use it for.  With the 7 this is
built in (it may be on the 5 and 6 but I have no experience with them) and you have
up dated shutter speeds and flash, plus added metering features, and greater
sensitivity. Also the bracket feature is much easier to operate. Price for a clean
7 will run from 900 to 1100, A worker can be had around 600-700 but you'll want to
have a cla done and then you adding, what 200-300. 2 cams can go to 3 and several
of my daily shooters are upgraded 2's. Mine have be done by Leica and have been
around $150+ if me brain is working. If you feel the 4s is ok they are around
$300-$500 for a really nice one and they are plentiful. Most dealers tell me "All I
need is another R4s on a trade-chees" I have no experience with the 4sP, but if
they are few and far between the price will run higher. Why not just throw in the
towel and get an R8, they are in the $1400+ range used and if you catch a dealer on
Leica Days you can come close to the new with passport.
Cheers Wilber GFE
http://www.jeffcoatphotography.com

Bob Keene/Karen Shehade wrote:

> Hi Group-
>
> Been using 'R' glass on my Canon EOS A2- with an adapter from Joseph Yao;
> with this arrangement I can use 1 or 2 cam lenses. My question, as I can
> see somewhere down the road an 'R' body- Can you get a third cam added to a
> 2 cam lens? Anyone have an *approximate* cost? I want to see if this will
> be feasible in the future- can buy and use a 2 cam lens now- eventually
> convert it- or will the conversion cost be prohibitive, in which case I may
> save my hard earned $$ for 3 cam lens....
>
> AND-
>
> Any votes for a first 'R' body? I know of a 'user' R5 for around $500- but.....
> What about R3's- somefolks seem to love 'em- do you need the R3 MOT to hook
> up the winder?
> Another question- does the Winder R have a release for vertical holding?
> (Rob Schneider, are you out there?)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob (yeah, I know I don't NEED it- but it's hard to focus the glass on the
> EOS screen!) Keene

- --
Cheers Wilber GFE
tel. 803-469-2440