Subject: [Leica] Nokton report cont...
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 10:15:59 -0000

I preface what follows by pointing out that I have never owned or used a
Summilux 50 1.4. I have, however, owned and used the Nikon 50 1.4 AIS and
the Canon manual focus 50 1.4. - as well as the 50 Summicron...

...Got back my first film shot using the Nokton 50 1.5...Tri-X rated at 800.
I realize that this is hardly the ideal film for lens testing, but as this
is what I normally use, it's what I used. I didn't take any "test" shots,
just used the lens.

And I am VERY happy with the results. Under some very contrasty, low light
conditions, as well as fairly even indoor and outdoor lighting, this
inexpensive marvel produces sharp, contrasty, apparently defect free images.
Using the old eye-ball/eyelash sharpness test (which I know is not a real
lens test) this thing is as sharp as any 50 I've used, even opened wide...

I have not yet used it under any conditions I would expect to cause serious
flare problems, but based on preliminary real-world results, I'd say this
lens is one hell of a bargin for $459, and, frankly, for a 50 1.5 for an M
or LTM, would still be a good deal at at least twice the price.

B. D.

P.S. - at some point I'll post a few images - and yes, I certainly
understand that you can't judge a lens that's better than a coke bottle - or
the old Nikkor 43-86 zoom - by internet images..:-)