Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M6 Viewfinder rangefinder patch flare CONTROL ??
From: Stephen Holloway <stephen.holloway@balcab.ch>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:05:24 +0100

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> Stephen H - Much as I love my Ms, I don't know that I can call a camera
> "sublime" that I have to patch with scotch tape and magic marker...Imagine
> how we'd all be giggling if someone reported that there were postings on the
> Nikon list reporting that the viewfinder of the new F100 flared out under
> various conditions? Well, what do you expect from that Nikon crap? ;-)

Well I sort of meant the results (the pictures) were sublime, and given
that it generally handles so nicely I'm prepared to work around little
problems. I certainly wouldn't think it acceptable if I had to use
sticky tape to fix it. To me it's like driving an exotic car like a
Ferrari: the rear visibility sucks, the pedals are oddly positioned, but
it's worth working through the problems for the end result.

But anyway, I'm really happy with Tom Schofield's solution: move your
eye position slightly to find the 'sweet spot'. The worst flaring
disappears on my M6 (late classic) when I get this right, and I'm
learning to position my eye naturally in the right spot. Maybe this is
why some people don't have a problem: they position correctly most of
the time.

- --
Stephen Holloway
http://www.deepturtle.com/steve/photos