Subject: Re: [Leica] Wedding stories--Thank You!
From: Thomas Herbert <iphoto@elp.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 12:54:52 -0700

I've been enjoying your wedding stories, but you really shouldn't let it
bother you so much. I have photographed about 120 weddings with very few
problems. The most important thing to remember is our expectations of the
work for the most part far exceeds the customer's. EXAMPLE: I have had
prints in a pile for discarding and the customer saw them and wanted to buy
them all....and I was going to throw them away.

The other very important thing is to have a contract that the client signs
in advance stipulating what happens if something goes wrong. The standard
language is that all you are liable for is the return of any deposits made.
This keeps people from suing you.

I have only ever had to return one deposit and that is because the lab
damaged the film. I made arrangements to do some custom portraiture for
these people and they knew it wasn't my fault. They have since sent me
several referrals.

The bottom line is do your best to prepare, make sure you are capable to do
a wedding with the proper equipment, make a list of things the client wants
shot, and enjoy yourself. If you miss a shot you think you should have had
don't sweat it...chances are the client is too busy having fun to notice.

My .02 on weddings
- --
Thomas Herbert, Photojournalist
(915) 546-2342