Subject: Re: [Leica] Apo-Summicron-M 90/2.0 ASPH tested by CDI
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:04:40 EST

In a message dated 2/13/00 4:18:19 PM Central Standard Time,
noct@club-internet.fr writes:

<<
 I'm not an expert in testing lenses.
 In fact if i read mtf tests before buying a lens, it is only in order not to
 waste my money, not to split hairs.
 For the apo 90 and the old 90 at full aperture, the tests made by CDI give
 the same results : good (center), good (edges). So I concluded that the apo
 is not an absolute winner.
 At 2.8 , the apo gives : very good, good and my elmarit : good, good.The
 old summicron : very good, good. So the apo is one more time only equal to
 the old summicron and both the summicrons are (slightly) superior to the
 elmarit.

 I expected something better with the Apo. >>
Thanks so much for the illuminating study of the old Summicron vs. the new
90ASPH Summicron.  The advise suggests that if one has one of the pre-ASPH
Summicrons and shoots primarily at 5.6 and 8, so there is no reason to speed
$1,900.00 for a new lens that won't provide any improvement.

Thanks again.

Don R.