Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V15 #59
From: timswan <timswan@blazenetme.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:21:49 -0500

Guy,

Thanks for your post and risking the flames. I found the discussion of
art almost as distressing about the never-ending car discussion, but for
different reasons. It bothers me that people seem so quick to point out
what they don't like, or understand. Look, there are a lot of
photographers whose work I don't like, but that doesn't mean that their
work is bad. Sometimes it really is that I just don't get it.

When I was in art school I began as a very literal artist -- I painted
what was in front of me as an object. However the more I drew and
painted, the more abstract my work became, simply as the result of
learning to look in a different way from what I was used to.

My bookshelf has room for both Cartier Bresson AND William Eggleston, and
I get something valuable from both.

Tim

>lugfolk thick and thin,
>
>i feel i have to weigh in on the issue of 'art' photography. while i agree
>that a lot of it is rubbish (the same is true of much 'non-art'
>photography, by the way), i certainly do not agree that so-called art
>photographers are all a bunch of sloppy or talentless photographers whose
>work is essentially incomprehensible unless we 'get' the inside jokes that
>inform it.

(rest snipped in the interest of space)