Subject: [Leica] Re: Leits Focomat IIa
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:38:43 -0800

At 01:37 PM 2/15/00 +0000, Marc Thomas wrote:
>HEllo,
>Can anyone point me to some on line resources about the Leitz focomat IIa
>or does anyone have any comments to make (pro or anti) about this enlarger.
>Are spare parts easily available (I guess not !)
>How does it compare both in quality and use to say a Devere 504 (the only
>enlarger Ive ever used !)
>thanks
>Marc

I currently have a ZBE Sentinette, which is basically a re-vamped DeVere
504 chassis with a ZBE Starlight head. I've owned both a Focomat Ia and
V35. I've used a Focomat IIa. The main difference is that using a Focomat
is almost a sensual experience. Using a DeVere is, well, just using an
enlarger. There seems to be work involved in using a DeVere. There is joy
involved in using a Focomat.

If anyone is interested, Keeble and Shuchat Photography has a mint Focomat
IIa, with lenses, gorgeous machine, for around $5000. They also have a
nearly mint (really clean and neat) Valoy II for under $300 (with Schneider
lens).

Jim