Subject: Re: [Leica] Chromogenic nightmares
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 06:14:44 +0000

Mike Johnston wrote:
>The downside of chromogenic films is that your negatives AREN'T
>ARCHIVAL. Over the years I have heard so many horror stories I can't
>even begin to tell you. We receive regular pleas for help at the
>magazine from people whose chromogenic negatives are fading away. I've
>seen examples that are almost gone. Bad fading can occur within 5 years.
>It's true that some people report no problems after 15 years, but
>others--MANY others--report the opposite. Personally, I wouldn't touch
>the stuff with somebody else's ten-foot pole. If you expect or intend to
>keep your negatives, BEWARE.
>
>At the very least, do your own processing, and DO NOT trust a commercial
>lab or a minilab.

This is about the only "honest" answer that I have received since posting
numerous questions concerning the longevity of chromogenic films. I had
suspected all along that chromogenic films are like colour negative stuffs,
and the latter fade with time.

I know that the newspaper boys use XP2 a lot because they can soup it in
their own lab in the office. Chances are digital will be taking over as the
need to have pics into print have to be done as soon as possible.

I wonder how much more time one can buy by trying to soup the stuff by
yourself. In any event, I think that how you store it matters a lot too. I
feel safer with my HP5+.

Thanks for this post Mike, it certainly makes me balk at wanting to have a
go at the chromogenic stuffs.

Dan K.
                 Beware of the barrenness of a busy life.