Subject: Re: [Leica] Eggleston: art photography
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:26:50 -0700

I agree with your second statement but my wife has strong opinions  on your
first statement. ;-)  I do not feel that I am qualified to judge most Modern
Art without research so I tend to hold my tongue, or keyboard, until I can
get a better handle on things. This is not the same as being able to say
what I "like" or not as the case may be; but, rest assured, the Art World
would be even worse if I was its sole arbiter. I have just tried to point
out that Eggleston is not that easy for us amateurs (at least I am an
amateur) to appreciate at first glance. He was a giant in photography
whether we "like" him or not and his work has influenced us whether we are
aware of it or not.

John Collier