Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Eggleston: art photography
From: "Timothy R. Kuntz" <covbldrs@usit.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:31:52 -0500

The Conundrum of the Workshops  (Rudyard Kipling)

When the flush of the new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the devil whispered behind the leaves, 'It's prety, but is it Art?'

Wherefore he called to his wife, and fled to fashion his work anew -
The first of his race who cared a fig for the first, most dread review;
And he left his lore to the use of his sons, - and that was a glorious gain
When the devil chuckled 'Is it Art?' in the ear of the branded Cain.

They builded a tower to shiver the sky and wrench the stars apart,
Till the Devil grunted behind the bricks: 'It's striking, but is it Art?'
The stone was dropped at the quarry side and the idle derrick swung,
While each man talked of the aims of Art, and each in an alien toung.

They fought and they talked in the North and the South, they talked and they fought in the West,
Till the waters rose on the pitful land, and the poor Red Clay had rest -
Had rest till the dank, blank-canvas drawn when the dove was preened to start,
And the devil bubbled below the keel: 'It's human, but is it Art?'

et al., et al.

Tim Kuntz