Subject: Herb Ritts and taste [was Re: [Leica] Eggleston]
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 19:39:17 -0800 (PST)

Rob Schneider-Laura Tully writes:
 > [...]
 > I'm still waiting for someone to explain with a straight face how Herb Ritts
 > warranted a huge show at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.  Let's turn over
 > the "inaccessible" coin and talk awhile about trite, commercial and obvious.
 > [...]

It's funny that you should mention it.  I really like the portrait of
Tracy Chapman on her new album (ok, CD), read the liner notes, found
the credit to Herb Ritts, and just today spent a bit running around
the web site for the show.  Maybe most of the stuff there isn't
once-in-a-lifetime, and maybe it's not Fine Art, but I'd love to have
one of them to my credit.

It's been great fun to watch this thread grow.  It's sort of a dual of
the "why do I take pictures" discussion that frequently goes on in my
head (I'm a stymied grad. student, I can't take anything for
granted...).  Different folks, different reasons, different tastes,
but everyone seems to agree that photo's have something to say.

g.