Subject: Re: [Leica] So you want to work for National Geographic
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 00:46:30 -03-30

At 06:34 PM 15/02/00 -0800, Ted wrote:
>John Collier wrote:
>
> >In the March issue of NG on page 25 is photographer Joel Sartore's  diary on
> >an assignment in Bolivia. After reading it, I am glad I am a mechanic /
> >househusband! >>
>
>Hi John,
>
>Those guys and gals at NG aren't alone, as some of us on the LUG can make
>their stories look like summer dreams. :)

Ahh, yes, Ted. The dreamers and romantics.....

Years of poverty and when you do "make it" you spend the rest of your life
paying back everyone who got you through.
You spend half you professional life away from home.
You contract weird and wonderful diseases.
You fight for contracts and copyright with everyone who is trying to rip
you off.

I, personally, have had malaria,dysentery and dengue Fever.
I've been robbed by corrupt soldiers (and robbed by editors)
Lost track of how many times I've had a gun held to my head.
Watched colleague get beaten to a pulp and not been able to do a damn thing
about it.
Gotten drunk with Serbian soldiers just to make "friends".
Been shot at in Sarajevo.
Left stranded on the side of the road in Zaire.
Had my Domke camera bag stolen by a 1000lb Harp seal.
Had a led truncheon inserted between the 10th and 11th vertebrae by East
German riot police... which I still feel to this day.
Did I mention the tear gas and pepper spray? ...nasty stuff.
Gotten a lung infection for burning toxic building materials.
Been TOTALLY lost in north west Rwanda at night.
Bribed some unknown guerilla force in Central Africa to get through a
border crossing... still not sure which side he was on, but he had the gun
and controlled that stretch of road so...

....and I have had it pretty easy compared to many.  National Geographic
shooters don't even come close to what the news guys go through. The famous
ones from Magnum, Blackstar, Saba, et el who work for the big mags are the
ones in the trenches. At least they get paid well and have some recognition
but the "UNKNOWN" wire services guys do it day in and day out for very
little pay and total anonymity.

I know, the next question is, "...well, why do you do it?"
Well 20 years in and I have to ask myself the same question.

Maybe because it is a licence to see the world and poke my nose into other
peoples business and tell some good stories.... but no one said it was
going to be easy.
.... and when it "works", there is no greater feeling.

Greg Locke                         St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca              http://www.straylight.ca/locke
Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm
ISBN#0-7710-5305-3 McClelland & Stewart