Subject: Re: [Leica] Eggleston cameras
From: Anders Nygren <txmanyg@txm.ericsson.se>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:33:42 -0600

Dan Cardish wrote:

> I don't think winning the Hasselblad Award requires use of a Hasselblad.
> Didn't Robert Frank win the award a few years ago?
>
> Dan C.

Yes, in 1996 Robert Frank won it.

Previous prize-winners have been: (Up to 1995)

- -Lennart Nilsson, Sweden;
- -Ansel Adams, USA;
- -Henri Cartier-Bresson, France;
- -Manuel Alvarez Bravo, Mexico;
- -Irving Penn, USA;
- -Ernst Haas, USA;
- -Hiroshi Hamaya, Japan;
- -Edouard Boubat, France;
- -SebastiÑo Salgado, Bra-zil/France;
- -William Klein, USA/France;
- -Richard Avedon, USA;
- -Josef Koudelka, Czechoslovakia/France,
- -Sune Jonsson, Sweden;
- -Susan Meiselas, USA; and
- -Robert Höusser, Germany.

And some of You will be shocked to hear that the 1999 Hasselblad Award
went
to ........

...... Cindy Sherman.

The short intro on the Hasselblad Center web pages describes her as

                "Cindy Sherman's work is central to our understanding of
Western
                visual culture during the eighties and nineties. One of
the first
                (and the few) of the post-modernists to site politics
and gender
                issues at the center of her work, she also produced
large-scale,
                impressive works of photography which became icons of
                contemporary art, and which now form the heart of many
                prestigious museum collections in Europe and the USA.
The
                emergence of her work coincided with the rise of
photo-theory
                and a new academic interest in photography in the
eighties,
                demonstrating that photography could yet again be at the
                forefront of the new. "

/Anders Nygren