Subject: [Leica] India tips
From: Robert Appleby and Susan Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:46:03 +0100

Someone - I'm sorry, but my inbox is bigger than my memory for what's in it
- - asked about useful hints on India. I can make three recommendatiomns:
1) Bombay: The Standard Supply Company (just opposite VT station at the top
of DN Road. Also has a sign outside saying Unique Colour Lab.) Excellent
suppliers of the latest pro emulsions, with a Q-Lab service and very
friendly. In my experience (not necessarily exhaustive) the best photo
processing/supply point in India. You can get just about any film you want
through them (220 is not available, though). For example, E100SW 135-36
including processing cost me around £5 ($7.50) a roll through them. I buy
all my film through them and get it processed there. No major complaints yet.
2) Calcutta: Latif Precision works, 24 Chowringhee Road. Fixed my siezed-up
R6 and 35/2 R lens. Highly recommended. There is a Q-lab in Calcutta but i
wouldn't recommend their service.
3) Bombay: anyone needing an assistant in Bombay should contact Mahendra at
the Salvation Army, behind the Taj Mahal Hotel on Merryweather Street. He
has worked with lots of film crews and photographers (he spent a year with
Dario Mitidieri on the "Children of Bombay" project (terrible name for a
good book)). A real street boy who has a total knowledge of the city and
state in general, and is very helpful, trustworthy and hardworking. Mention
my name (Robert) when you contact him (might break the ice).
On the whole, I don't think you need worry about refrigerating film in
india too much, unless you are supercritical. We usually bought a couple
hundred rolls for a month or so and had no problems with colour shift or
anything like that. After all, at this time it isn't so hot. Fungus is a
problem in the monsoon.
Hope this is helpful,
Rob.
Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow